Relax and Reconnect with Nature at a Rustic Sheep Farm in Australia
Enjoy a beautiful, peaceful getaway in nature at a true sheep farm in Australia’s gorgeous outback at a unique spot among the Flinders Ranges at Almerta Station. Here adults have the chance to reconnect with nature and let kids roam and play freely in an authentic off-the-grid, farm experience.
What You Can Expect from Almerta Station’s Farm Accommodation in South Australia
Almerta Station offers an escape from daily life with access to nature, a rustic farmhouse, and secluded campsites for a pleasant respite.
- Our farm accommodation in South Australia is surrounded by pristine nature, and we have 5,000 or more sheep grazing on our lands where you may also spot kangaroos, emus, and birds. You’ll have access to 200 kilometres of cycling and walking trails, and we have a billabong with water year-round for you to enjoy. At night you can go out stargazing for a true, off-the-grid nature retreat.
- Get a taste of authentic farm life when you stay at the Shearer’s Quarters, an old farmhouse with a fully equipped kitchen with a wood fireplace for chilly winter nights, a spacious front porch, dining area, and six bedrooms that can accommodate groups and families of all sizes. There are shady outdoor areas for BBQs, a large lounge area, and a fire pit area in the hill above the quarters.
- We have thirteen campsites on our property that you can book for a private, secluded stay on our grounds in pristine nature, or you can use them as picnic areas if they are not reserved.
Prepare for Your Visit to Almerta Sheep Station in Australia
These are our recommendations to help you prepare for your visit to our sheep farm in Australia:
- Come to our sheep station in Australia prepared for whatever outdoor activities you like best. Bring bicycles, running shoes, hiking boots, footballs, rugby gear, or even horses if you are a rider. Come with your camera if you like photography for wildlife and nature shots, or you can have family portraits taken by a professional on-site.
- Pack food you can prepare in the fully equipped kitchen at the Shearer’s Quarters, or the campsites. If you prefer, we also offer food service for fresh fruits and vegetables and meat order packages from local businesses that you can order for when you arrive, and we can provide catering by request. We sell ice, firewood, and stationery here if you should need any of these essentials during your stay.
- Leave behind your attachments to technology, to your social media accounts, email, work calls, and all the other things you think you need to survive but could stand to set aside for a few days. Bring your wide-eyed wonder, your free spirit, your desire for peace and nature. Come to Almerta Station with your stifled longing for simpler times, and we guarantee you will leave with a sense of harmony and tranquillity that will stay with you for a long while.
About Almerta Station
Almerta Station is a true sheep station in Australia that has been family-owned since 1930 when Arthur and Doris Rowe bought the land. We began a shearing and crutching business in the 1980s that continued until 2020. Almerta today is a tourism and grazing property. Our station runs from Carrieton-Quorn Road to the Mount James peaks with 5,000 to 8,000 sheep grazing at any given time. Shearing season is in September, and we invite guests to watch and learn about it with us if they are interested. When you choose to stay at our farm accommodation in South Australia, for a short time you get to trade the frenetic pace of your busy, daily life for a respite into the slower pace of life in the outback. We welcome you to our homestead with open arms.
To book your stay or learn about our services, contact us for personalised assistance.